Duchy Round Up 7th May

By Dan Code

All this weekends Duchy League action

JJ Jones Duchy Football League St Minver remain on top of the Premier Division following a 2-1 win at Saltash United. Rob Green gave them a 14th minute lead with a neat finish. Luke Trevaskus equalised in the 28th minute but a Corey Cleave goal gave the visitors the win.
Looe Town stay hot on their heals after two Kieran Faulkner goals gave them a 2-0 win over North Petherwin. Looe stay a point behind with a game in hand in one of the most exciting finishes to a Premier division season.
Edgcumbe beat a much below strength Foxhole side 7-1. The visitors were near to pulling out of the game but realising that such a decision would lead to their reserve players fulfilling the premier game and losing three points as a result they worked hard to patch together a team. Richard Griffin scored their consolation. Edgcumbe scored through Cameron Ross (2), Zak Pearce, Will Dunstone, James Carhart, Ben Dodds and Charlie Lawrie.
Callington Town capped a fantastic season winning the Division One Championship to add to their Junior Cup and Duchy KO Cup wins. They won 3-0 at Altarnun to complete the treble. Ricky Coton, Dan Ashman and Steve Bromhead were the scorers. At the end of the game League Chairman Colin Burrell presented the trophy to the triumphant Callington team.
LC Phoenix remain on target for promotion after a closely fought 2-1 win at Grampound. The visitors were ahead within two minutes when the home defence stood off allowing Jon Bye a free shot into the net. Grampound equalised after a stunning forty yard long ball from Simon Garrington found Ryan Morcom on the penalty spot and he put the ball away. An even first half ended with Nathan Cox restoring the visitors lead just before the break. Grampound had the better chances after the break but couldn't force an equaliser.
A well polished home performance saw Gerrans & St Mawes United thrash Gunnislake 6-1. Charlie Jones hit another hat trick with Harry Wilshaw adding a brace and Charlie Andrew completing the home tally. Andy Brown scored the Gunnislake consolation.
St Newlyn East can sign off a season to forget as they completed their programme with an eleven home defeat to St Dennis. Relieved to have finally closed out the season there was a determination to play this final game. Chris Brown scored five goals for St Dennis with Luke Damerell adding a hat trick, Nathan Hugh a brace and David Cloke with the remaining goal.
St Columb Major won 2-1 at AFC Bodmin. Mike Horne was the home marksman.
North Hill beat Tintagel 1-0 to leapfrog them into third in Division Two and in doing so confirmed Holywell/Cubert Athletic as runners up. A Jason Ridgment goal settled the game.
Champions Veryan faced bottom of the table Stoke Climsland. The struggling East Cornwall club must get much credit for fulfilling the fixture after being unable to raise a team last week. Unfortunately the hosts were in a destructive mode hitting seventeen without reply and it would have been even worse apart from some good goalkeeping. Tyler Cheshire scored six times and Craig Phillips four times. The scoring was completed by a Liam Cope brace and goals from Justin Trebilcock, Booby Lee Johns, Liam Cock, Mark Ferguson-Smith and Dan Vincent.
Calstock leapfrogged Godolphin Atlantic to put the visitors into the bottom two. Calstock won 2-1 with Mark Northey and Jan Humphrey getting the home goals. Kevin McHugh replied.
Lifton confirmed a fifth place finish after winning 2-1 at Queens Rangers. Cameron Heard and Anthony Coles scored for Lifton with Mark Rid replying for the hosts.
Tregrehan Mills took a major step towards the Division Three title and confirmed promotion after winning 50 at North Petherwin reserves. Dean Dingle hit a hat trick with Dom Swire and Corey Cross with a goal from a cross getting their goals.
Mevagissey are the only team that can now deny Tregrehan the title. They kept their hopes alive with a 5-0 win at Packhorse Athletic. Richard James scored a brace with Krzysztop Kruszewski. Derrick Lucas and Ross Masters completing their tally.
Tregony beat Gorran 1-0 with Kevin Beel scoring the goal. The win lifts them above Packhorse and out of the bottom two.
Pelynt reserves are now confirmed as relegated after a crushing 9-0 home defeat to Lanivet Inn. The visitors leading marksman Dave Crawford scored five goals with Shane Looker adding a brace. Ollie Brown and Chris Jennings completed the Lanivet tally.
Saltash United reserves take a one point lead at the top of Division Four after a 3-2 win over St Stephen reserves in a game played at Foxhole. A very competitive game with Saltash starting the better early on but Matt Bromhead opening the scoring for St Stephen with a powerful left foot shot from the edge of the area. Saltash got the goal they were looking for the end of the half, a disputed goal put in with his hand claimed the St Stephen keeper, the goal scorer was Dan Frazer on 44 minutes. In the second half Saltash took the lead on 78 minutes through Kieran Owen and on 85 minutes they went 1-3 in front when Ash Hooper beat the offside trap to score. He went around the keeper took the ball to the line and then put it in the net. St Stephen pulled a goal back on 88 minutes through Kyle Wray with a great header but too little to late.
St Teath revived hopes of escaping the drop with a fine 3-2 win at St Mawgan reserves. Jamie Phillips and Chris Leach scored the home goals. For club secretary Phillips it was a day to remember. A goal in his last game after 25 years and over 500 games of Duchy football he has decided to retire.
Rame Peninsula beat St Dennis reserves 3-1. Matt Elliott, Luke Robinson and Curtis Evans scored for Rame.
Division Five Champions Foxhole reserves won 3-0 at Boscastle reserves to confirm their dominance. James Penhall, Bradley Allen and Aydan Rundle were the scorers.
Lanreath were held one all at Week St Mary depriving them of a promotion place which now goes to Dobwalls. Needing a win to pip their near neighbours Lanreath scored through a Ray Clarke goal but it wasn't enough as Week replied with a George Hodgson goal.
St Eval Spitfires beat Wadebridge Town 4-0 to leave their opponents at the bottom and having to seek reelection. Steve Masters scored a brace with Jon Summerfield and Simon Guinan scoring one apiece.

Where next?

Duchy Round Up 14th May All this weekends Duchy league action
KMD Cup Final Callington Town 1-0 St Minver

The Duchy League | www.duchyleague.co.uk newsletter

Keep up-to-date with our exclusive email newsletters.