Duchy Round Up 23rd April

By Dan Code

All this weekends Duchy League action

JJ Jones Duchy Football League
Tregrehan Mills are through to the final of the Bodmin Sports Trophies League Cup. They beat Roche 5-2
and progress on aggregate 8-2. Dean Dingle tapped home in the 10th minute a cross from Lewis Husband for
the opener. Dom Swire took the aggregate advantage to five goals with a thirty yard strike in the 15th minute.
Despite the score it was an evenly fought first half. Dingle added the third ten minutes after the break with a
flicked header and Swire hit another long-range strike for the fourth. Gareth Geach pulled one back with a
breakaway goal, but Mills responded when Lee Thomas curled in their fifth. Roche had the final say when
the ball broke loose and Geach scored his second.
The pressure is beginning to tell at the top of the Premier Division with St Minver dropping a couple of
points from a one all draw with Lostwithiel. St Minver had won all their previous home games this season
but were shell shocked in this game. Rob Green scored for St Minver with Owen Carr scoring for
Second placed Looe Town failed to take advantage when held goalless at Edgcumbe but that was probably a
point gained against such a strong opponent. Looe remain four points off the top but with two games in hand.
St Stephen and Saltash United shared eight goals in a thriller. Frazer Ferris put the visitors ahead with just 15
seconds on the clock. St Stephen fought back with Craig Coad brought down in the area and Ryan Hayhurst
equalising from the spot. James Truscott ran from deep to pick up the ball and put St Stephen ahead only
from Ferris to restore parity. The hosts regained the lead when Hayhurst was brought down in the area and
got up to convert his second penalty. Saltash were not to be denied however, with Ferris completing his hat
trick before half time. Ten minutes into the second half Tim Hooper capitalised on good team work to restore
the lead for St Stephen, however Saltash hit back and after hitting the post earlier in the half, Tony Jane
eventually scored to secure the draw.
North Petherwin greatly improved their prospects of avoiding relegation with a fine 3-2 win at Foxhole.
Their results has not matched their recent performances, but goals from Jim Werren, Dan Warring and Joe
Reeve gives the club renewed hope with games in hand on their nearest rivals. Foxhole replied with goals
from Ryan Wilkins and Richard Griffin.
Pelynt has secured their place for next season after beating relegation rivals St Mawgan 2-1. Fred Carter and
Dave Gilbert scored the home goals. St Mawgan with just one game to play now face a nervous wait to know
their future.
St Dominick beat Biscovey 5-4 to retain an outside hope of staying up. Kieran Searle hit a hat trick with Sam
Nicholson and James adding the other home goals. A depleted Biscovey replied with a Ross Willcocks brace
and goals from Rory Barnicle and Chris Burns.
Sticker suffered a big setback to their Division One promotion prospects beaten 2-0 at home to AFC Bodmin
with Mike Horn getting both goals.
Grampound had much the better of their game with St Dennis but conceded a late goal as the game ended
two apiece. The first half was goalless with the hosts missing the better chances. Ryan Morcom got on to the
end of a through ball to give Grampound the lead early in the second half. A silly mistake when they
switched off at a free kick allowed Nathan Hugh to equalise, heading over the keeper. Ryan Orchard swiftly
restored the hosts lead with a crisp shot before two minutes from time Carl Rickard equalised. The visitors
seeking promotion staged intense pressure for the remainder of the game but were unable to force a winner.
St Columb Major jumped out of the bottom two in midweek and won again beating Gerrans & St Mawes
United 3-2 to all but end any relegation fears. They did it the hard way trailing by two goals at the break
scored by Andrew and a Simon Mitchell own goal. Major bounced back in style after the break with Tom
Ball scoring twice and Mitchell atoning for his earlier error with their other goal.
Premier Sixes now see relegation looming after losing 4-0 at home to Gunnislake. The young home side
struggled to cope with the visitors aerial power. Wayne Stephens headed the opener with Chris Parsons and
Kieren Jasper adding two more before half time. Sixes attacked their opponents in the second half but the
only goal was a Parsons toe-punt which deceived the home keeper.
Veryan picked up the Division Two title, a fourth successive championship, after winning at St Cleer and
following Tintagel's defeat. Two Tyler Cheshire goals and one apiece from Liam Cocks and Aaron Moyses
saw them win 4-1 at St Cleer. Ronan Moran replied for St Cleer with the defeat leaving the hosts too close
for comfort in the relegation stakes.
Godolphin Atlantic beat Tintagel 2-0 to end the visitors outside title hopes and boost their own survival
chance. Jack Scott and Ben Colquhoun were the scorers. Tintagel now trail Holywell by ten points with five
more games to play as they look to gain the second promotion place.
Calstock players and officials put in a lot of work to get their game playable but visitors Holywell/Cubert
Athletic ruined their day by winning 6-2. Simon Holmes and Lee Mann scored a brace apiece with Peter
Bruce and Aaron Murphy completing the Holywell tally in this their last game. Jan Humphrey and Ben
Williams replied for Calstock.
North Hill put a series of away defeats behind them to return home and score a convincing 6-1 win over
Queens Rangers. James Moriarty and Jason Ridgment scored a brace apiece. The hosts tally was completed
by Martin Ridgment and Chris Rockell with Neil Mitchell scoring the visitors consolation.
Stoke Climsland are all but mathematically relegated after being beaten 3-1 at home by St Breward. Darren
Wickett scored the home goal with St Breward winning after strikes from Josh Galvin, Ben French and Paul
Tregony are staging a remarkable recovery in Division Three and now have high hopes of avoiding the drop.
The beat Lanivet Inn 5-0 with Phil Collyer getting a hat trick and Ross Vicary and Jake Foster getting the
other goals.
Alan Forsyth scored a hat trick as Gorran kept up their promotion challenge with a 5-3 win at Pelynt
reserves. Tom Guest and Sam Guy completed the Gorran scoring with Sam Lane, Adam Keen and Antony
Harman replying.
St Merryn stay second but a one all draw at Grampound reserves checks their promotion hopes with their
games running out. Peter Thomas put Grampound ahead with a 15th minute penalty. St Merryn replied also
from the penalty spot ten minutes before the break through Josh Dark. It was a hotly contested penalty from
the hosts perspective. A well contested game saw no further goals.
St Minver reserves beat Packhorse Athletic 3-1. Danny Thurtle, Adrian Ashton and Ben Cleave for St Minver
with Wayne Drew replying.
Saltash United Reserves kept their Division Four ambitions burning with a 6-1 defeat of St Teath. Ashley
Hooper scored a brace with their other goals shared by Bray, Kieran Owen, Anike Arinze and Charlie
Duncan. Aaron Williams scored the St Teath consolation.
Padstow United pushed Kilkhampton nearer to relegation after a 5-1 win. The visitors certainly put up a
good fight especially in the first half with keeper Stuart Cann having a fine game. Padstow eventually scored
in the 30th and 40th minutes with two fine strikes. They went three up after the break, but Kilkhampton pulled
one back and had their best spell of the game immediately after that. With Padstow nerves beginning to show
young Josh Barnes steadied the ship from full back and they came on strong to score two later in the game.
Rob Elliott and Sam Gerry scored a brace apiece for Padstow with Tom Hull completing their scoring. Tom
Shadrick replied for Kilkhampton.
A Liam Cairns hat trick lifted Southgate Seniors out of the bottom two as they beat St Dennis reserves 3-1.
St Mawgan Reserves and Rame Peninsula shared six goals in an entertaining, good natured match, with the
highlight being Luke Haynes' goal direct from the kick off after Rame had taken a 2-0 lead. St Mawgan drew
level, before Rame retook the lead with Chris Leach equalising from the spot. The Rame scorers were
Richard Gibson, Colin McHale and Matt Elliott.
Leaders Pensilva won 2-1 at St Stephen reserves in a late kick off to reaffirm their position at the top of the
league following two games without a win. Mike Rendle gave them the lead. James Allen equalised but the
two Pensilva forwards were the difference between the teams and Jon Filbey struck for the visitors winner.
Foxhole reserves moved up to second in Division Five with games in hand on leaders Dobwalls. They beat
Wadebridge Town 6-1 with Bradley Allen and Caleb Hawken both scoring hat tricks. Damian Cudmore
scored the visitors consolation.
An incredible game at Boscastle saw them beat St Eval Spitfires 6-5. St Eval went two up, then trailed 6-2
before a storming comeback saw the hosts just hanging on for the win. St Eval threw everything forward in
athe final minutes just coming up short. Scott Dunn scored a brace for Boscastle with Rob Heal, Matt
Pethick, Alex Gibbons and Darren Hambly adding a goal apiece. Fran Riddle scored a hat trick in reply with
Dean Darbourne and George Shapcott also scoring.
Week St Mary won 4-0 at Lostwithiel reserves

Where next?

Duchy Round Up 30th April All this weekends Duchy League action
Duchy Round Up 16th April All this weekends Duchy League action

The Duchy League | www.duchyleague.co.uk newsletter

Keep up-to-date with our exclusive email newsletters.