Duchy Round Up 21st May

By Dan Code

All this weekends action from the Duchy League

JJ Jones Duchy Football League

St Dominick ended their stay in the Premier Division with a late 3-2 comeback win over North Petherwin. The hosts took a 7th minute lead when a long clearance from their own keeper was nodded by a Petherwin defender past his own keeper for an own goal. Josh Sanders equalised five minutes into the second half and then Petherwin went ahead in the 70th minute through a Luke Rich goal. St Dominick were awarded a penalty five minutes from time from which Alex Caers equalised. With the draw looking the likely finish, Martin Hunn hit a stunning 35 yard winner to give the hosts the spoils.

The kick off was delayed as Edgcumbe's bus had a flat tyre for their match against St Stephen, which was played at Foxhole. The game eventually kicked off at 14:58 with St Stephen applying the early pressure and taking the lead on 8 minutes through Craig Coad. They kept the lead for only 2 minutes when Edgcumbe were awarded a penalty when Kyle Willmott was adjudged to have pushed a player in the box. Edgcumbe had a goal ruled out for a foul in the area on 19 minutes before on 25 minutes Edgcumbe went in front through Jay Boyle a tap in from 6 yards. St Stephen fought back to level the score in the 44th minute when Craig Coad went through two defenders tackles to score. The second half was only 5 minutes old when St Stephen went in front through Matt Bromhead when he capitalised on a defensive mistake between an Edgcumbe defender and his keeper. St Stephen went further ahead on 77 minutes through Courtney Rowe with a powerful shot from 12 yards then Craig Coad got his hat-trick on 84 minutes. Edgcumbe put through their own net on 88 minutes to complete a very competitive game.

Division One Champions Callington Town has still lost only once all season after beating Gerrans & St Mawes United 2-1. James Pascoe and Kieran Prescott were the home scorers.

LC Phoenix claimed runners up and promotion to Premier after beating Sticker 2-1. The visitors still had slim hopes of claiming promotion but went down to goals from Josh Barron and Jowan Knights. Jack Boardman was the visiting scorer.

Godolphin Atlantic raised hopes of avoiding the drop from Division Two after beating North Hill 5-0. Phil Lowry scored a hat trick with Callum Faulkner and Danny Martin completing their tally.

Champions Veryan had to come from behind to secure a two all draw with Tintagel, only the second point dropped all season. The match switched to Tregony started with Veryan taking the lead through Dan Vincent in slightly bizarre circumstances after the referee allowed them to take a quick free kick. Veryan then had a penalty saved by the stand in Tintagel keeper who along with his central defender had a fine game. Tintagel levelled when awarded their own penalty and Shaun Keeble netted the spot kick and then ten minutes before half time Joe Gibson put the visitors ahead. Tyler Cheshire drew the sides level after the break but despite intense pressure Veryan were unable to break down the defence again.

Tregrehan Mills wrapped up the Division Three title with a 6-2 defeat of relegated Pelynt reserves. The visitors took an early lead through Ben Jones. Mills took a while to recover from this early setback until a Steve Haynes cross to Lewis Husband in the 25th minute drew their equaliser. Dean Dingle converted an Adam Sabine cross to give the hosts the lead and he then added a second before half time. Sabine added the fourth after the restart with Dingle completing his hat trick to ensure the title was won. Connor Bone pulled one goal back before Dom Swire completed the home scoring. League Chairman Colin Burrell was on hand to fulfil his second presentation of the day to the victorious team who now look to complete a double when facing holders Veryan in the final of the Bodmin Sorts Trophies League Cup Final at Grampound on Tuesday evening. As for Pelynt despite their relegation their attitude throughout the game was a credit to the club.

Gorran lost any chance of a third place finish when beaten 4-2 at home by St Minver reserves. The match referee failed to arrive but a young host club man stepped in and had a good game. Three of the visitors goals came from sloppy back passes from the home side who were the masters of their own destruction. Adrian Ashton scored a brace with Ian Buckingham and Joe Robinson completing the St Minver tally. Gorran replied through Shane Kibell and Tom Guest.

North Petherwin reserves won 4-0 at Grampound reserves. Barry Rutherford gave them a first half lead. Wayne Francome headed the second after the break with Kenny Channing adding a brace, the second of which was a cross come shot that flew into the net.

Saltash United reserves beat St Mawgan reserves 1-0 to confirm the second promotion place in Division Four. St Mawgan gave them a real edgy battle before a Dan Frazer goal ensured that no other club could catch them.

Real Saltash the only side that could have deprived their neighbours promotion failed to raise a side for a late kick off at St Dennis when only six players turned up at the meeting point. The three point deduction that the failure to arrive incurs now endangers their current third place position.

Champions Pensilva were presented with their trophy prior to the match at St Teath by League Chairman Colin Burrell. With St Teath the team most in need of points, Pensilva became the latest club to fall to the home sides incredible finish to the season. St Teath won 2-1 with goals from Jonny Strout and Connor Bridgway. The win secures St Teath's place in Division Four next season and condemns Southgate Seniors and Kilkhampton to relegation.

Where next?

TJ International Reserve Team Cup Final Lostwithiel Reserves 1-1 Foxhole Stars Reserves Lostwithiel win 5-4 on pens

The Duchy League | www.duchyleague.co.uk newsletter

Keep up-to-date with our exclusive email newsletters.